About Breast Implant Revision
Women who are not happy with the appearance of their first breast implants or if decide that they want changes down the road should consult with a trusted plastic surgeon. Breast augmentation revision surgery performed by our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Jay Shenaq, can correct problems with older implants like bubbling, rippling, or implant rupture. Dr. Shenaq can replace implants with newer-generation ones to change the shape, size, or appearance of existing implants or he can remove them, if a woman desires. While breast revision surgery can be complicated, our team at Plastic Surgery of Houston has been known to help patients get beautiful, satisfying results.
"I met Dr Shenaq when my best friend had breast cancer. He took so much time to carefully explain the procedure to her. I was so impressed with this surgeon that when I came down with breast cancer in my left breast I immediately made my appointment with Dr. Shenaq. I had a double skin sparing mastectomy with reconstruction, and yes this plastic surgeon did a phenomenal job! Dr. Shenaq and his staff took such good care of me, they are very understanding, and really care about you. I could not be happier with the outcome of my surgery. Westside surgical center is where my surgery took place. If you want phenomenal patient care, this is the place to be. Dr. Shenaq with his particular care, really made me look and feel good about myself quickly."- L.M. / Yelp / Nov 03, 2015
"Dr. Shenaq and his staff have been a Godsend! Dr. Shenaq is doing my reconstruction surgery after a cancer diagnosis. He has been awesome! On my first visit he consulted with my husband and I until we had no more questions or concerns. He made sure I understood what was being done throughout the entire process. He answered all of my questions. He has been comforting, professional, extremely competent and the reconstruction looks fantastic! It is a work of art! It is more than I ever expected!His staff is so warm, caring and kind as well as professional! These ladies rock!I came here very frightened and insecure and now I am confident and very grateful because of the experience I have had. I am so happy I came here and I would encourage anyone who needs reconstruction to come to Dr. Shenaq! You will not be disappointed."- Anonymous / RateMDs / Dec 13, 2017
"Dr. Shenaq is a great doctor! Have been very pleased with how things turned out after my surgery. He is good at answering questions and making sure you get the care you deserve. His staff is also fantastic and will do as much as possible for your care! Really glad I went to Dr. Shenaq for my surgery."- Anonymous / RateMDs / Nov 28, 2017
"Dr. Shanaq performed breast reconstruction surgery associated with my breast cancer surgery for stage 0 breast cancer (DCIS). The results were amazing; stitches healed well & quickly with care regime prescribed. The follow-through by Dr. Shanaq & nurse Brenda wad most impressive. I would gladly recommend him to anyone I know seeking plastic surgery."- L.A. / Facebook / Nov 22, 2017
"I came highly recommended from Dr. White to Dr. Shenaq. When I called Dr. Shenaq's office, Marcie answered the phone. I asked, "do you have a minute to talk", I spent probably 45 minutes on the phone with her and was never put on hold. I told her I had breast cancer, had a bilateral mastectomy and had gone through TWO reconstruction surgeries and was still not right. That I looked deformed, and I did. Marcie let me cry practically through our whole conversation. I proceeded to tell her that I had consulted 2 other plastic surgeons and they told me "it's not that bad", "you're lucky to be alive" and I was about to give up hope until a friend referred my to Dr. White, and his staff was knowledgeable enough to refer me to Dr. Shenaq and I didn't know what to do and did she think that Dr. Shenaq would see me. Not only did she express her sympathy, she gave me an appointment date within a week! I had no idea I would get in that quickly to a Doctor that had come so highly recommended. I made my 8 hour drive with such hope and happiness in my heart. Only to find that the best was yet to come.Dr. Shenaq is such a calming Doctor! He looked at me and came up with a plan. He stayed with me for an hour, yes AN HOUR, discussing what he thought should be done, but he said, "more importantly, what would you like to see after surgery, I need to know what is in your mind of expectations so I can put them with my expectations"! Since I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I had the best Doctor in my eyes to to my mastectomy, the best Oncologist, and thought I had the best reconstruction Doctor, until now! Before surgery, he asked me again, "let's make sure we both are on the same way of thinking on what you want to see"! Dr. Shenaq kept me in the hospital after surgery to make sure I had the best care, that was October 18th, I started out seeing him every week for my post op visits, none of which were ever rushed. When I go see Dr. Shenaq, I feel I am his only patients, even though I see other patients, none of whom I ever saw wait very long, so that tells me he schedules appointments to allow quality time with each patient. I am now on my second two week post op visits. I feel so whole and complete. Dr. Shenaq and his staff have provided me with so much confidence! He had a lot of work to do one me, I didn't even have any bruising! He is remarkable! I actually look forward to the 8 hour drive to go see Dr. Shenaq and his staff! I am so happy with him and would encourage every woman to seek Dr. Shenaq out if you need reconstruction of any kind, but especially after a mastectomy!Lisa"- Anonymous / RateMDs / Nov 21, 2017
Do I Qualify?
Usually, a breast revision surgery is performed for:
- Medical reasons
- Cosmetic reasons
- Implant exchange
What to Expect
During your consultation, the surgeon will listen to your concerns and cosmetic goals before making recommendations for a specific treatment plan. Since each implant revision surgery is unique to the patient's situation, the surgical technique and length of surgery and recovery will vary. You should expect a longer recovery time for multiple or extensive revision surgeries that involve removing scar tissue or removing loose skin. A revision that replaces a breast implant usually allows for the shortest recovery period. If you suspect your breast implant has ruptured, please seek medical attention immediately.
- Implant ruptures are rare, but it does require revision surgery. A ruptured saline implant may appear to be deflated and flattened, but the saline is safely absorbed by the body. When a silicone implant ruptures, the gel doesn't move, but there is an obvious difference in firmness and the shape of the breast. In most cases, the silicone is still contained within the implant and does not harm the body.
- Double bubble deformity creates an unnatural indentation in the breast and looks like the implant has fallen out of position. Visually, the breasts will appear unattractively doubled underneath the crease. This usually occurs if the implants were not properly positioned during the augmentation surgery. It can also happen if there is too much scar tissue around the implant itself. Breast revision surgery is the only way to amend this situation as the situation will not correct itself. The surgeon may also use a surgical mesh to reinforce the implant and keep it from moving.
- Scarring (capsular contracture) can cause a hardening of the breast, which occurs more often in saline implants. There is always a risk of scar tissue forming around the breast implant once it has settled into the chest, which shifts the implant out of place and hardens the breast. In this case, a surgeon would have to remove the scar tissue with a procedure called a capsulectomy.
- Breast rippling is a visible wrinkling beneath or on the side of the breast. This can often be seen under clothes. Rippling can happen with any augmentation patient, but it is most common with women who are thin and have very little muscle under the breast. Saline implants cause rippling more than silicone implants. This complication is not a health risk, but it does lead to unattractive, wrinkly breasts.
Plan Your Procedure
- Procedure Recovery Location
New and Improved Implants
We want everyone to be happy with their breast augmentations, so we offer breast revision surgery (even if it is to correct another surgeon’s work) to help you reach your cosmetic goals. Please schedule a consultation at our office to learn more about your revision possibilities.