About Breast Implant Revision
Women who are not happy with the appearance of their first breast implants or if decide that they want changes down the road should consult with a trusted plastic surgeon. Breast augmentation revision surgery performed by our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Jay Shenaq, can correct problems with older implants like bubbling, rippling, or implant rupture. Dr. Shenaq can replace implants with newer-generation ones to change the shape, size, or appearance of existing implants or he can remove them, if a woman desires. While breast revision surgery can be complicated, our team at Plastic Surgery of Houston has been known to help patients get beautiful, satisfying results.
"I met Dr Shenaq when my best friend had breast cancer. He took so much time to carefully explain the procedure to her. I was so impressed with this surgeon that when I came down with breast cancer in my left breast I immediately made my appointment with Dr. Shenaq. I had a double skin sparing mastectomy with reconstruction, and yes this plastic surgeon did a phenomenal job! Dr. Shenaq and his staff took such good care of me, they are very understanding, and really care about you. I could not be happier with the outcome of my surgery. Westside surgical center is where my surgery took place. If you want phenomenal patient care, this is the place to be. Dr. Shenaq with his particular care, really made me look and feel good about myself quickly."- L.M. / Yelp / Nov 03, 2015
"I was introduced to Dr. Shenaq after being diagnosed w/ breast cancer. I had a unilateral mastectomy & my remaining 'good' breast was equipped with a 23 year old implant. Dr. Shenaq definitely had his work cut out for him to fix me up & make me look symmetrical again. Not only did he replace what the cancer had taken, he fixed the good breast with a new implant. This man is a genius and an absolute perfectionist! His caring nature is unmatched. I look better now than before my diagnosis!"- S. / Healthgrades / May 29, 2018
"I had my Breast Cancer in 2011 Dr.Shenaq was the one who helped me with all my fears he said “your going to be just fine” he reconstructed me by taking my belly fat and used that to reconstruct my breast. I had a double mastectomy and people are still amazed at his excellent work. Thank you so much Dr.Shenaq.?"- M.F. / Facebook / Feb 27, 2018
"Dr. Shenaq and his whole team are awesome !!!!!!!!"- L.J. / Facebook / Jan 26, 2018
"Dr. Shenaq and his staff have been a Godsend! Dr. Shenaq is doing my reconstruction surgery after a cancer diagnosis. He has been awesome! On my first visit he consulted with my husband and I until we had no more questions or concerns. He made sure I understood what was being done throughout the entire process. He answered all of my questions. He has been comforting, professional, extremely competent and the reconstruction looks fantastic! It is a work of art! It is more than I ever expected!His staff is so warm, caring and kind as well as professional! These ladies rock!I came here very frightened and insecure and now I am confident and very grateful because of the experience I have had. I am so happy I came here and I would encourage anyone who needs reconstruction to come to Dr. Shenaq! You will not be disappointed."- Anonymous / RateMDs / Dec 13, 2017
Do I Qualify?
Usually, a breast revision surgery is performed for:
- Medical reasons
- Cosmetic reasons
- Implant exchange
What to Expect
During your consultation, the surgeon will listen to your concerns and cosmetic goals before making recommendations for a specific treatment plan. Since each implant revision surgery is unique to the patient's situation, the surgical technique and length of surgery and recovery will vary. You should expect a longer recovery time for multiple or extensive revision surgeries that involve removing scar tissue or removing loose skin. A revision that replaces a breast implant usually allows for the shortest recovery period. If you suspect your breast implant has ruptured, please seek medical attention immediately.
- Implant ruptures are rare, but it does require revision surgery. A ruptured saline implant may appear to be deflated and flattened, but the saline is safely absorbed by the body. When a silicone implant ruptures, the gel doesn't move, but there is an obvious difference in firmness and the shape of the breast. In most cases, the silicone is still contained within the implant and does not harm the body.
- Double bubble deformity creates an unnatural indentation in the breast and looks like the implant has fallen out of position. Visually, the breasts will appear unattractively doubled underneath the crease. This usually occurs if the implants were not properly positioned during the augmentation surgery. It can also happen if there is too much scar tissue around the implant itself. Breast revision surgery is the only way to amend this situation as the situation will not correct itself. The surgeon may also use a surgical mesh to reinforce the implant and keep it from moving.
- Scarring (capsular contracture) can cause a hardening of the breast, which occurs more often in saline implants. There is always a risk of scar tissue forming around the breast implant once it has settled into the chest, which shifts the implant out of place and hardens the breast. In this case, a surgeon would have to remove the scar tissue with a procedure called a capsulectomy.
- Breast rippling is a visible wrinkling beneath or on the side of the breast. This can often be seen under clothes. Rippling can happen with any augmentation patient, but it is most common with women who are thin and have very little muscle under the breast. Saline implants cause rippling more than silicone implants. This complication is not a health risk, but it does lead to unattractive, wrinkly breasts.
Plan Your Procedure
- Procedure Recovery Location
New and Improved Implants
We want everyone to be happy with their breast augmentations, so we offer breast revision surgery (even if it is to correct another surgeon’s work) to help you reach your cosmetic goals. Please schedule a consultation at our office to learn more about your revision possibilities.