About Breast Implant Revision
Women who are not happy with the appearance of their first breast implants or if decide that they want changes down the road should consult with a trusted plastic surgeon. Breast augmentation revision surgery performed by our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Jay Shenaq, can correct problems with older implants like bubbling, rippling, or implant rupture. Dr. Shenaq can replace implants with newer-generation ones to change the shape, size, or appearance of existing implants or he can remove them, if a woman desires. While breast revision surgery can be complicated, our team at Plastic Surgery of Houston has been known to help patients get beautiful, satisfying results.
"I met Dr Shenaq when my best friend had breast cancer. He took so much time to carefully explain the procedure to her. I was so impressed with this surgeon that when I came down with breast cancer in my left breast I immediately made my appointment with Dr. Shenaq. I had a double skin sparing mastectomy with reconstruction, and yes this plastic surgeon did a phenomenal job! Dr. Shenaq and his staff took such good care of me, they are very understanding, and really care about you. I could not be happier with the outcome of my surgery. Westside surgical center is where my surgery took place. If you want phenomenal patient care, this is the place to be. Dr. Shenaq with his particular care, really made me look and feel good about myself quickly."- L.M. / Yelp / Nov 03, 2015
"Dr Shenaq is the best!! He partnered perfectly with my breast surgeon and truly provided me with the best care through a difficult time. I feel and look amazing! Dr Shenaq and his entire staff are kind, caring and a true blessing to me."- J.M. / Yelp / Sep 13, 2019
"Dr Shenaq is the best!! He partnered perfectly with my breast surgeon and truly provided me with the best care through a difficult time. I feel and look amazing! Dr Shenaq and his entire staff are..."- J.M. / Yahoo / Sep 13, 2019
"In 1998 my 9 year old had a major accident on his dirt bike (he was wearing a full face helmet) . Dr Shenaq put over 60 stitches in his face and you can’t even see a scar. The muscles in his far head were severed and hanging out of his face too. He does amazing work and I would recommend him to everyone!"- L.C. / Facebook / Feb 23, 2019
"Awesome Doctor and staff. Marcie and Brenda are the best. I love them all to life and more!!! Strongly recommend especially breast cancer reconstruction!!!!"- S.F. / Google / May 15, 2019
Do I Qualify?
Usually, a breast revision surgery is performed for:
- Medical reasons
- Cosmetic reasons
- Implant exchange
What to Expect
During your consultation, the surgeon will listen to your concerns and cosmetic goals before making recommendations for a specific treatment plan. Since each implant revision surgery is unique to the patient's situation, the surgical technique and length of surgery and recovery will vary. You should expect a longer recovery time for multiple or extensive revision surgeries that involve removing scar tissue or removing loose skin. A revision that replaces a breast implant usually allows for the shortest recovery period. If you suspect your breast implant has ruptured, please seek medical attention immediately.
- Implant ruptures are rare, but it does require revision surgery. A ruptured saline implant may appear to be deflated and flattened, but the saline is safely absorbed by the body. When a silicone implant ruptures, the gel doesn't move, but there is an obvious difference in firmness and the shape of the breast. In most cases, the silicone is still contained within the implant and does not harm the body.
- Double bubble deformity creates an unnatural indentation in the breast and looks like the implant has fallen out of position. Visually, the breasts will appear unattractively doubled underneath the crease. This usually occurs if the implants were not properly positioned during the augmentation surgery. It can also happen if there is too much scar tissue around the implant itself. Breast revision surgery is the only way to amend this situation as the situation will not correct itself. The surgeon may also use a surgical mesh to reinforce the implant and keep it from moving.
- Scarring (capsular contracture) can cause a hardening of the breast, which occurs more often in saline implants. There is always a risk of scar tissue forming around the breast implant once it has settled into the chest, which shifts the implant out of place and hardens the breast. In this case, a surgeon would have to remove the scar tissue with a procedure called a capsulectomy.
- Breast rippling is a visible wrinkling beneath or on the side of the breast. This can often be seen under clothes. Rippling can happen with any augmentation patient, but it is most common with women who are thin and have very little muscle under the breast. Saline implants cause rippling more than silicone implants. This complication is not a health risk, but it does lead to unattractive, wrinkly breasts.
Plan Your Procedure
- Procedure Recovery Location
New and Improved Implants
We want everyone to be happy with their breast augmentations, so we offer breast revision surgery (even if it is to correct another surgeon’s work) to help you reach your cosmetic goals. Please schedule a consultation at our office to learn more about your revision possibilities.